PHOTOGRAPHIC MEMORY
My memory is more indelible than ink."You're blessed with a good memory" is a compliment for many but at times, having a strong memory is a curse. No matter how hard you try to forget some memories, they are like a dagger to the heart, reopening wounds we thought had healed. I don't carry a grudge but I have a functioning memory and can never forget those who go out of their way to help or harm me.
Childhood memories are like airplane luggage; no matter how far I'm travelling or how long I need them to last, I'm only allowed a few bags holding a few hazy recollections—lullaby in my mother's lap, being pushed on a swing set, the way it felt to be picked up and spun around, buying my dream doll, getting first prize, securing highest marks, playing hide and seek, wearing a new dress etc
When I look back in life, I realize that I don't have many pictures with my favourite people. Maybe because I was busy storing memories in my heart than in a 128 GB device.
In childhood, I pressed my nose to the pane, looking out. In memories of childhood, I press my nose to the pane, looking in.
I can reminisce every single kind word, loving gesture, warm hug, sincere advice, honest opinion, shoulder to lean on, healing words, expression of love, encouragement and appreciation .......I can recollect it all quite vividly. Some of the most incredible memories are forged in innocence. Attending my best friend's birthday party, sitting in a teacher's lap, appreciation from my Principal, uplifting and inspirational words from my educators and family members, playing with fellows on merry go round, bidding farewell to my best childhood friend and cousins when I was 10 and so on........ I can't forget even a bit of it. I remember nearly every event of my life with great precision. Some say that I've a photographic memory. Share your date of birth once and I remember it for a lifetime. It's been 27 years and I can still call to mind the names of my 47 classmates in alphabetical order. I can easily recall the date of every event held in my personal and professional life.
No matter how hard I try to forget some memories, I end up recalling them all and hurt myself. Scar tissues of memory are as vicious and as hard as any which a knife has left upon my flesh. The outbursts of anger, scolding, curse, taunts, sarcasm, criticism, harsh and rude comments, betrayal and heartbreak. It is rightly said that to heal a wound, you need to stop touching it.
Having a sharp memory is a good quality of the brain but the ability to forget the unwanted things is a far better quality of the heart in order to live in peace and not in pieces.
I had to hold my breath till the last word. I can acknowlege the mentioned statement with utmost integrity that you possess the remarkable memory. May this ability be a source of solace for you rather than a nuisance.
ReplyDelete