Embracing the Embarrassing
The word 'blind' cuts through my soul like a razor's edge, leaving a trail of shattered dreams and fractured identity. When the thoughtless taunts pierce the air, I feel the weight of a thousand unspoken insecurities settle upon me like a shroud. The sting of people's words is a harsh reminder that, to them, my partial sight is a defect, a deficiency that diminishes my worth. Tears prick at the corners of my eyes as I struggle to reconcile the disconnection between their perception and my reality. I am not my limitations; I am a universe of untapped potential and passion waiting to be unfurled. Yet, in that moment, people's careless words reduce me to a single, searing truth: I am vulnerable, and my heart is laid bare.
In the warm embrace of gatherings, where love and laughter flow like a gentle stream, I find myself lost in a sea of uncertainty. The offer of food or juice, a gesture of kindness and hospitality, becomes a moment of quiet panic. A gentle fog that softens the edges of my world, makes it difficult for me to focus on the offering. The gesture of generosity, a plate of food offered with kindness, becomes a moment of vulnerability for me. In the fog of ambiguity, I feel a flush of embarrassment rise, a gentle warmth that spreads like a quiet ache. The fear of misidentifying, of mistaking one dish for another, or worse, of missing the offering altogether, threatens to overshadow the warmth of the host's intent. But then, a gentle voice, a reassuring touch, or a guiding hand helps me navigate the uncertainty. The fog lifts, and I find solace in the kindness of strangers, the patience of loved ones, and the understanding that true connection transcends the boundaries of sight. Though my sight may be partial, my gratitude and appreciation for the love and generosity that surrounds me is whole and complete.
My gaze is a spotlight, shining bright on the canvas of your face, while the rest of the world, including your hands, fades into the shadows. I see the smile that brightens your eyes, the creases that deepen with every laugh. But like a puzzle with missing pieces, your hands remain a mystery, hidden from my sight as I focus on the beauty of your countenance. In this fragmented world of mine, I must choose between the language of your face and the gestures of your hands, forever torn between the two, yet finding solace in the beauty of the one I can see. It's as if my focus, a beam of attention, illuminates only the face directly before me, casting the adjacent space into a gentle shadow. I'm oblivious to the presence beside me. My partial sight, a gentle veil, leaves me tenderly unaware of the one who stands shoulder to shoulder. Yet, even in this tunnel of focus, I sense the presence, a subtle energy that hums like a quiet harmony. A nudge, a touch, a whisper in my ear, and suddenly the veil lifts, revealing the person who stood beside me all along.
Handshake, the gesture of greeting, a universal language of warmth and welcome, become a source of quiet anxiety, a moment of self-doubt. I hesitate, my hand lingering by my side, as I search for a way to connect without revealing my vulnerability. The fear of fumbling, of misjudging the distance, of not quite finding the other hand, make me withdraw, my partial sight a constant companion in this silent struggle. I opt for a gentle smile, a nod, or a soft hello, avoiding the intimate ritual of the handshake. But in doing so, I feel a pang of disconnection, a sense of isolation, as if I am missing a fundamental aspect of human bonding. The handshake, a symbol of trust and respect, become a reminder of my limitations, a subtle yet persistent ache in my heart.
Still, I hold on to hope, that one day, I'll find the courage to reach out, to grasp the hand that's offered, and to connect beyond the boundaries of my sight. For in the end, it's not the handshake that matters, but the warmth of the heart, and the sincerity of the soul.
The warmth of a hug, a gentle embrace that envelops the soul, is my preferred language of connection. For in the tender squeeze of arms, I find a sense of security, a comfort that eludes me in the fleeting touch of a handshake. As a partially sighted individual, the uncertainty of navigating physical space can be daunting. But in a hug, I find a sense of familiarity, a trust that transcends the boundaries of sight. It's a tactile affirmation, a reassurance that I'm not alone, that I'm seen and felt.
So let us embrace, literally and figuratively, and find solace in the warmth of each other's presence.

The feelings are heart piercing but the mastery of language, with which they have been dealt with is simply superb.
ReplyDeleteMaheen you are so good at expressing your thoughts in a language which makes your writings a masterpiece!
ReplyDeleteKeep going girl. You have a huge potential.
Profound reflection on vulnerability, perception, and connection beyond sight.
ReplyDeleteWho says your eyesight is weaker than others ?
You perceive a world beyond what most can see.
Maheen I just read your article and I must say it's fantastic.But honestly it made me cry a lot because I could feel the pain and emotions in your words. Your writing is so powerful that it touched my heart deeply. I wish I could heal your hurt heart and soul that's how much I feel for you. You're an amazing writer, but I care about you more as a person.
ReplyDeleteMa'am your article is amazing 💯✍️
ReplyDeleteYour article is excellent
ReplyDelete